Building Recommender Systems with Machine Learning and AI
How to create machine learning recommendation systems with deep learning, collaborative filtering, and Python.
Created by Sundog Education by Frank Kane, Sundog Education Team, Frank Kane | 11.5 hours on-demand video course
Updated with Neural Collaborative Filtering (NCF), Tensorflow Recommenders (TFRS) and Generative Adversarial Networks for recommendations (GANs)
Learn how to build machine learning recommendation systems from one of Amazon’s pioneers in the field. Frank Kane spent over nine years at Amazon, where he managed and led the development of many of Amazon’s personalized product recommendation systems.
You’ve seen automated recommendations everywhere – on Netflix’s home page, on YouTube, and on Amazon as these machine learning algorithms learn about your unique interests, and show the best products or content for you as an individual. These technologies have become central to the largest, most prestigious tech employers out there, and by understanding how they work, you’ll become very valuable to them.
We’ll cover tried and true recommendation algorithms based on neighborhood-based collaborative filtering, and work our way up to more modern techniques including matrix factorization and even deep learning with artificial neural networks. Along the way, you’ll learn from Frank’s extensive industry experience to understand the real-world challenges you’ll encounter when applying these algorithms at large scale and with real-world data.
Recommender systems are complex; don’t enroll in this course expecting a learn-to-code type of format. There’s no recipe to follow on how to make a recommender system; you need to understand the different algorithms and how to choose when to apply each one for a given situation. We assume you already know how to code.
However, this course is very hands-on; you’ll develop your own framework for evaluating and combining many different recommendation algorithms together, and you’ll even build your own neural networks using Tensorflow to generate recommendations from real-world movie ratings from real people.
What you’ll learn
- Understand and apply user-based and item-based collaborative filtering to recommend items to users
- Create recommendations using deep learning at massive scale
- Build recommendation engines with neural networks and Restricted Boltzmann Machines (RBM’s)
- Make session-based recommendations with recurrent neural networks and Gated Recurrent Units (GRU)
- Build a framework for testing and evaluating recommendation algorithms with Python
- Apply the right measurements of a recommender system’s success
- Build recommender systems with matrix factorization methods such as SVD and SVD++
- Apply real-world learnings from Netflix and YouTube to your own recommendation projects
- Combine many recommendation algorithms together in hybrid and ensemble approaches
- Use Apache Spark to compute recommendations at large scale on a cluster
- Use K-Nearest-Neighbors to recommend items to users
- Solve the “cold start” problem with content-based recommendations
- Understand solutions to common issues with large-scale recommender systems
Recommended Course by Frank Kane