The pfSense Fundamentals Bootcamp 2023 Edition
Learn the Fundamentals of the pfSense Firewall and secure your Home Network or Business with Confidence!
Created by Stefan Rosanitsch | 4.5 hours on-demand video course
Hello, and welcome to the course I wish I had when I started out with pfSense. My name is Stefan, and I am an officially certified pfSense professional. I had the pleasure of learning what I know directly from Jim Thompson (the CTO and a Core Team Member of Netgate/pfSense).
After finishing this course, you will know everything you need to operate all the basic functions of a pfSense firewall with confidence. You will also learn how to navigate through your firewall with ease. You can use this knowledge if you want to implement a pfSense firewall into your home network, but you will also be able to integrate and operate a pfSense firewall in a business environment. This is a hands-on course – you are encouraged to follow through with all of the steps as I do them on your firewall.
Please note that you don’t need a physical appliance to follow along with this course. A computer with 8GB of RAM is enough to run a virtual machine with pfSense (covered in the course). Since integrating pfSense into my home network many years ago, I immediately fell in love with it. Back then, there were hardly any guides or tutorials for pfSense – so I decided to create my own – which has helped to turn my YouTube channel and my blog into one of the most popular resources for pfSense on the internet.
What you’ll learn
- Operating a pfSense firewall with confidence by understanding all of the fundamental functions
- How to install pfSense on VirtualBox and how to set up a pfSense lab
- How to install pfSense on any physical (hardware) appliance from scratch
- Configuring the pfSense DHCP server
- Configuring pfSense DNS and changing DNS servers
- Everything you need to know about firewall rules
- Managing and backing up pfSense configuration files (including backup history!)
- How to troubleshoot pfSense (restarting services, connecting with SSH, rebooting)
- How to create new users
- Creating widgets for your dashboard
- How to install and configure OpenVPN from scratch
- Installing and configuring Squid Proxy and ClamAV
- How VLans work and how to set up VLans on pfSense