Map Academy: get mapping quickly, with QGIS
Go from map zero to map hero with QGIS: ‘heat maps’, locator maps, election maps, density maps, analysis, design + more
Created by Alasdair Rae | 15.5 hours on-demand video course
WELCOME TO MAP ACADEMY! LEARN HOW TO MAKE GREAT MAPS, WITH QGIS
**Update: I now have over 4,000 people learning with me, in 129 different countries – thanks so much!**
Millions of people across the world love maps, yet only a small percentage of people know how to make maps – and I’m on a mission to change that. Taking your first steps in geographic information systems (GIS) and digital cartography can be really enjoyable, but if you don’t have a guide it can also be a wee bit daunting, so that’s why I’ve launched Map Academy. Using real data from many different countries, this course contains over 140 short lessons to help you get up and running with map making and spatial analysis in QGIS. If you want me to add a new video on a topic of your choice, just get in touch and I’ll do my best to create one!
QGIS is the world’s most popular open source GIS and is used by major corporations worldwide, as well as by national, regional and local governments – and by academics, students and amateur map enthusiasts. It’s 100% free, and it works on Mac, PC and Linux. QGIS downloads and installs in minutes and requires no licences or registration – ever.
By the end of this Map Academy: get mapping quickly, with QGIS course, you’ll be able to make many different kinds of maps and save them as high quality images in a variety of file formats (e.g. pdf, jpg, png, and many more) for use in documents, presentations and other settings. You might be surprised at how much you can learn and how far you can go with QGIS in a short space of time.
What you’ll learn
- How to make different map types (e.g. ‘heat maps’, locator maps, density maps, election maps – and more)
- Map making workflows – adding data, styling data, labelling, design, map layouts and more (including glowing maps)
- The fundamentals of QGIS (100% free software, no license or payment required)
- How to export high resolution images from QGIS (e.g. png, pdf, jpg, svg and more)
- Spatial analysis concepts (buffer, clip, etc)
- The fundamental principles of GIS
- How to use QGIS for geographic analysis
- Geospatial data formats and concepts
- Map projections / coordinate reference systems
- Map tips and tricks + fun map stuff!
Udemy Promotional Code - September 2023
This will also bring up a list of coupons and promo codes that you can use to get a discount on Udemy courses
The skills for now — now on sale. Online courses from $14.99.
Promotion Dates: 09/21/2023 - 09/22/2023
Clicks to Redeem Udemy Coupon